Komodo National Park and the Lesser Sunda Islands that surround it are a highlight of Indonesia and of this 9-day inclusive cruise. This journey will provide a perfect opportunity to see the infamous Komodo Dragon in its native habitat and beyond that to truly witness and experience some of the most diverse cultures, marine life, and landscapes Indonesia has to offer.
As we journey through this lightly developed stretch of the archipelago we will make stops at white sandy beaches, Satonda Crater Lake and a visit the Bugis Boat Builders in Sumbawa who practice the centuries old art of building large Phinisi sailing vessels, like ours, completely by hand. Awakening each day to the sounds of life on this water world, there will be daily opportunities for guests to snorkel the colorful coral reefs and interspersed as well are cultural offerings such as vibrant local dances and village marketplaces.
Indonesia boasts some of the most diverse waters in the world and this cruise showcases the unique attributes of this island world and its unparalleled marine environment. This cruise includes numerous opportunities to swim, snorkel and to take advantage of the stand-up paddle-boards and sea kayaks on board.
Note: ‘Bali – Komodo – Bali 9 Days Sailing Cruise I’ travels outbound from Bali to Flores; guests meet the ship in Bali and return by air from Labuan Bajo, Flores to Bali. Airfare is included in the cruise price and we will book the flights from Labuan Bajo, Flores to Bali.
Note: ‘Bali – Komodo – Bali 9 Days Sailing Cruise II’ travels inbound from Flores to Bali; guests will meet the the ship in Labuan Bajo, Flores and will disembark in Bali. Airfare is included in the cruise price and we will book the flights from Bali to Labuan Bajo, Flores
Day to Day Itinerary
- Day 01 / Labuan Bajo, Komodo, Flores
- We start from the airport in Bali with an early morning flight to Labuan Bajo on the island of Flores. Upon arrival we will go by bus to the interior of the island and the village of Melo where we will have an opportunity to witness the local ‘strongmen’ performing the traditional Whip Dance. This is a great test of daring and skill for which the men of the western portion of Flores are famous. Two men, protected by rattan shields, accompanied by an orchestra of local instruments, hit each other fiercely with a rattan whip. Lightning quick moves defend each from the objective…to inflict a wound on the back of the other. The winner is loudly applauded and cheered by the village. We will have plenty of time to settle in, have a safety briefing and get acquainted with the crew and fellow passengers as we cruise to the small island of Kelor where guests can choose to get in the bright blue waters for a swim or snorkel or ply the waters on a stand-up paddle-board or sea kayak. Should we choose we can then make a visit to the adjacent island of Kukusan where we meet a settlement of the Bajao people known as ‘sea-gypsies’ who build their homes on stilts over the clear blue waters. Historically, Indonesia has had many nomadic tribes often referred to as ‘sea-gypsies’ due to the fact that they mainly traveled and lived in boats. On Kukusan we get a glimpse of how the formerly nomadic Bajao have adapted to life on land.
- Day 02 / Loh Buaya, Rinca Island
- Today we visit Rinca island, one of the approximately 80 islands that make up the Komodo National Park. We will go ashore at the ranger station in Loh Buaya for an early morning ranger-led trek through the park searching for these giant lizards. In this almost savannah-like setting of dry, rugged landscape we will encounter, at a distance, these awe-inspiring creatures, the ranger will show us the dens and nests of the dragons. Apart from Komodo dragons, we may spot monkeys, wild buffaloes and deer. From the top of the hills, the scenery is spectacular. After returning to the ship, we will cruise to a unique beach, called ‘red-beach’ because of the particles of red coral mingled with the sand. Here we will swim and snorkel over one of the ‘richest’ reefs in Eastern Indonesia. It is a lovely display of the variety of coral and marine life in the region .
- Day 03 / Komodo Island, Land of The Dragon
- This morning we wake up with the boat at anchor off Komodo Island, another of the four islands that are home to the Komodo Dragon, hopefully here we will have another chance to see this mysterious creature in its natural environment. In the course of the afternoon we cruise past Makassar reef to the island of Gili Lawa Darat.
- Day 04 / Gili Lawa Darat
- Today we wake up anchored in a quiet harbor off the shores of the island of Gili Lawa Darat, this is the northernmost island in the park. Guests can choose to snorkel or hike to the summit of one of the islands hills where the horizon opens up to a complete vista overlooking all eighty islands of the Komodo Archipelago and the mainland of Flores. The sight of the long white sandy beaches with clearly visible coral formations, the savannah-like landscape of Komodo Island and volcanic island silhouettes in the background is a unique photo op and can be a memory to cherish.
- Day 05 / Gili Banta & Wera
- In the morning we have our breakfast off the beach of Gili Banta, an uninhabited island and a perfect place for some swimming, snorkeling, paddle-boarding and kayaking. Around lunch time, we will visit Wera, a Buginese settlement on the east coast of the island of Sumbawa, where the men build boats along the black sand shores and the village women spend days weaving brightly colored cloth. Here we will visit the village and see all kinds of hand-sewn craft in various stages of construction, much the way the Katharina was built in 1998. Night cruising headed west.
- Day 06 / Satonda Magical Lake & Moyo
- Today we will wake up in front of the island of Satonda with its crater-lake and beautiful coral gardens along the coastline. Located just a couple of miles off the northwest coast of Sumbawa, Satonda is an extinct volcano whose crater was filled with water when nearby Mount Tambora erupted in 1815. Scientists around the world study this rare saltwater lake and the view from its crater is a highlight for visitors. This was the biggest volcanic eruption in the collective memory of mankind, much larger than Krakatoa. With an estimated volume of 160 cubic kilometers of rocks and ash ejected from the volcano the following year became known as the “year without a summer” because of the effect on North American and European weather. Afterwards we will continue on to Pulau Moyo. At the Northern point of Moyo we will spend some time relaxing, swimming and snorkeling.
- Day 07 / Moyo & Bungin
- We will spend the morning exploring more of the island of Moyo, snorkeling the reefs or going for a refreshing swim in one of the waterfalls on the island . During lunch we cruise further west until we reach the Bajao stilt village of Pulau Bungin. Historically, Indonesia has had many nomadic tribes often referred to as ‘sea-gypsies’ due to the fact that they mainly traveled and lived in boats. In Pulau Bungin, we get to see how the formerly nomadic Bajao have adapted to life on land. We will stroll through the narrow streets taking in the lifestyle and culture of this village. Here we will also witness a performance of traditional music and dance.
- Day 08 / Lombok Island
- Docked in north Lombok , after breakfast we will board a local coach for a tour into the interior of the northern side of the island, an area untouched by crowds. We will visit local traditional villages, and experience the culture of the Sasak people that are indigenous to the island . We will re-embark the Ship in the west of Lombok , and cruise towards the island of Tangkong. In the late afternoon here you will experience a quintessential experience and a highlight for many guests. On a deserted island with your feet in the sand and the stars rising in the vast Indonesian sky the crew will build a bonfire and prepare a beach barbecue as a final celebration of an unforgettable voyage. While you sleep the ship will cruise further west.
- Day 09 / Bali
- Depending on the weather conditions we will either visit the island of Nusa Penida, Nusa Lembongan or Amuk Bay in Bali. We will have a final swim and snorkel before cruising to the East or South East Bali where we will disembark and say goodbye to the crew of the ship as they see you off to your next destination.
- Full board meal
- English speaking guide service
- Free flow coffee and tea
- Use of our water activities equipment (snorkel, fins, goggles, sea canoe)
- Limited laundry.
- Personal expenses
- Alcoholic drinks consumed from boat bar during the cruise
- Domestic airfares (unless mentioned included)
Book This Cruise
CRUISE CODE: (PHN01-DPSDPS#9D8N-ii)
Please mention your departure of interest:
Join our newsletter
and get special cruise deals, last minute cruise deals, and discounted cruise/diving trip offers:
Worldwide Travel Insurance
We have great offer for Worldwide Travel Insurance to cover your holiday, click here to find out.
How to get to port
Port of Embarkation : Labuan Bajo (DPS) | Port of Disembarkation : Bali (DPS)
- From Jakarta
- From Bali
*We are more than happy to assist you on booking domestic lights to and from embark/disembark ports, let us know if we can assist you.
Booking and Cancellation Policy
- A deposit of 30 percent is required no later than 7 days after the date of reservation to confirm your booking
- Payment of the balance must be made and received us 90 days prior to departure date.
- Failure of payment within the stated period will automatically give the rights to offer the berth to other participant on the waiting list.
- Cancellations more than 90 days prior to departure: 50% refund of monies on hand.
- Cancellations within 90-0 days prior to departure: all monies on hand are forfeited.
- Payment shall be fully paid 90 days prior to departure.
Worldwide Travel Insurance
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
7 things you should know about
- Trusted reliable underwriters
WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need
WorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travellers from over 150 countries. By focussing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most
Had a change of plans? You can extend your policy or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities
From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely
All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance
All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service
We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.
- Q. Is this tour offers Diving?
A. No this cruise is a leisure cruise, offers themed excursion and unlimited snorkeling opportunity.
- Q. How can I arrange my flights to and from starting/end port ?
A. Please inform us that you would like us to arrange the domestic air tickets for you
- Q. How can i get from Airport to The boat and vice versa ?
A. Once you arrive at starting port/end port of cruise, transfer to and from airport is include in the service.
- Q. How much cash do i need to carry in this cruise ?
A. Since this is a full board cruise, during the cruise you may only need money (cash in local currency) when you are purchasing souvenir. You may also needs to pay your bar bill (alcoholic drinks are not included in the service) after the cruise, you can also pay onboard the ship using Credit Card (Visa & Master Card only)
- Q. What is Included in this cruise ?
A. Full board meal, English speaking guide service, free flow coffee and tea, use of our water activities equipment (snorkel, fins, goggles, sea canoe), Limited laundry.
- Q. What is not included ?
A. Personal expenses, Alcoholic drinks consumed from boat bar during the cruise, domestic airfares (unless mentioned included).
- Q. Do I Need Travel Insurances?
A. Highly recommended and advisable to purchase travel insurance, please follow this link to purchase world travel insurance.
- Q. What about safety precaution and medic ?
A. Crew of the boat are certified for the Basic Safety Training, and they are also regularly train for medical first aid officer.
- Q. What about emergency support ?
A. The ship operator and us at all time monitors movement of then boat by satellite tracking device installed onboard the ship, and regularly receiving report from boat captain, should there is something emergency assistance needed, there should be a plan already, even for an airlift emergency evacuation.
- Q. What time will the boat leave port, in case i only get the latest flight to be in the starting port ?
A. Depends on the itinerary program, if you are arriving late, you may missed the morning attraction, boat leave at 12.00 noon, so guest able to have lunch onboard the ship. Please arrange your ticket by consulting us to assure you are not missing any program by arriving the latest.
- Q. What time the boat will arriving at the end port?
A. Boat will arrive early morning and depend on the itinerary whether we have morning program/attractions or not, if not we will then transfer you directly from boat to the airport for your return flight.
- Q. Are domestic flights sometime delay and cancelled ?
A. Though nowadays air transport departure and arrival time has been increasing in term of quality, but there is always possibility of weather-caused delay. There you could missed your connecting flight. Please have at least one day stay in Bali /Jakarta before connecting to your Int’l flight.