Komodo National Park and the Lesser Sunda Islands that surround it are a highlight of Indonesia and of this 9-day inclusive cruise. This journey will provide a perfect opportunity to see the infamous Komodo Dragon in its native habitat and beyond that to truly witness and experience some of the most diverse cultures, marine life, and landscapes Indonesia has to offer.
As we journey through this lightly developed stretch of the archipelago we will make stops at white sandy beaches, Satonda Crater Lake and a visit the Bugis Boat Builders in Sumbawa who practice the centuries old art of building large Phinisi sailing vessels, like ours, completely by hand. Awakening each day to the sounds of life on this water world, there will be daily opportunities for guests to snorkel the colorful coral reefs and interspersed as well are cultural offerings such as vibrant local dances and village marketplaces.
Indonesia boasts some of the most diverse waters in the world and this cruise showcases the unique attributes of this island world and its unparalleled marine environment. This cruise includes numerous opportunities to swim, snorkel and to take advantage of the stand-up paddle-boards and sea kayaks on board.
Note: ‘Bali – Komodo – Bali 9 Days Sailing Cruise I’ travels outbound from Bali to Flores; guests meet the ship in Bali and return by air from Labuan Bajo, Flores to Bali. Airfare is included in the cruise price and we will book the flights from Labuan Bajo, Flores to Bali.
Note: ‘Bali – Komodo – Bali 9 Days Sailing Cruise II’ travels inbound from Flores to Bali; guests will meet the Katharina in Labuan Bajo, Flores and will disembark in Bali. Airfare is included in the cruise price and we will book the flights from Bali to Labuan Bajo, Flores
Day to Day Itinerary
- Day 01 / Bali - Lombok Strait
- We will gather in Sanur in the morning and depart for Amed which is on the northeastern side of Bali, where the Katharina will be anchored waiting for us. It is a pleasant and beautiful drive of about 2 hours and a great opportunity to see a bit of the island. After we board the vessel you will have a chance to settle in and have a safety briefing before the captain gives the orders for the anchor to be lifted and we cross the Lombok Strait. This stretch of water between Bali and Lombok marks a very important ecological boundary, first described by Sir Alfred Russel Wallace, the British naturalist. He noticed that the flora and fauna of the islands to the west are home to Asiatic animal and plant species, whereas the islands to the east of that “line” have a greater similarity to species found in Australia. In the afternoon we will make our first stop at one of the Gili islands, just off the Lombok coast. We will spend a few hours here where guests can choose from a number of water activities such as swimming, snorkeling, stand-up paddle-boarding and sea kayaking or simply enjoying time on the beach.
- Day 02 / Island of Lombok Interior Tour
- Docked in North Lombok, after breakfast we will board a local coach for a tour into the interior of the northern side of the island, an area untouched by crowds. We will visit local traditional villages, and experience the culture of the Sasak people that are indigenous to the island. After re-embarkation we will explore one of the coral reefs near Gili Sulat which is a marine conservation area.
- Day 03 / Satonda, Mt Tambora, Flying Foxes
- Our third day takes us to the island of Sumbawa where we will touch down in the Bajao stilt village of Pulau Bungin. Historically, Indonesia has had many nomadic tribes often referred to as ‘sea-gypsies’ due to the fact that they mainly traveled and lived in boats. In Pulau Bungin, we will see how the formerly nomadic Bajao have adapted to life on land. We will stroll through the narrow streets taking in the lifestyle and culture of this village. Here we will also see our first performance of traditional music and dance. Afterwards we will continue on to Pulau Moyo. Here we will take a walk to the waterfall and spend some time relaxing, swimming and snorkelling.
- Day 04 / Moyo, Satonda
- We will spend the morning exploring more of the island of Moyo, and snorkeling the reefs. During lunch we cruise to the island of Satonda with its crater-lake and beautiful coral gardens along the coastline. Located just a couple of miles off the northwest coast of Sumbawa, Satonda is an extinct volcano whose crater was filled with water when nearby Mount Tambora erupted in 1815. Scientists around the world study this rare saltwater lake and the view from its crater is a highlight for visitors. This was the biggest volcanic eruption in the collective memory of mankind, much larger than Krakatoa. With an estimated volume of 160 cubic kilometers of rocks and ash ejected from the volcano the following year became known as the “year without a summer” because of the effect on North American and European weather. Another highlight of our visit to Satonda is the sight of thousands of flying foxes that commute at dusk from the island to feed on the mainland, returning before first light the next day. Immediately after sunset, the Katharina leaves for an overnight passage on a course due east.
- Day 05 / Wera, Sumbawa
- Today we visit Wera, a Buginese settlement on the east coast of the island of Sumbawa, where the men build boats along the black sand shores and the village women spend days weaving, brightly coloured cloth called ikat. Here we will visit the village and see watercraft in various stages of construction, much the way the boat was built in 1998. During lunch we proceed to Gili Banta, an uninhabited island and a perfect place for some excellent swimming, snorkeling, paddle-boarding and kayaking.
- Day 06 / Gili Lawa Darat, Komodo
- Today we wake up anchored in a quiet harbor off the shores of the island of Gili Lawa darat, this is the northernmost island in the park. Guests can choose to snorkel or hike to the summit of one of the islands hills where the horizon opens up to a complete vista overlooking all eighty islands of the Komodo Archipelago and the mainland of Flores. The sight of the long white sandy beaches with clearly visible breathtaking coral formations, the savannah-like landscape of Komodo Island and volcanic island silhouettes in the background is an excellent fantastic photo op and can will be a memory to cherish. In the course of the afternoon we cruise past Makassar reef to Komodo.
- Day 07 / Loh Liang, Komodo
- We wake up with the boat at anchor off Komodo Island, one of the approximately 80 islands that make up the Komodo National Park. We will go ashore at the ranger station in Loh Liang for an early morning ranger-led trek through the park searching for these giant lizards. In this almost savannah-like setting of dry, rugged landscape we will encounter, at a distance, these awe-inspiring creatures. After returning to the ship we will cruise to a unique beach, called ‘red-beach’ because of the particles of red coral mingled with the sand. Here we will swim and snorkel over one of the ‘richest’ reefs in Eastern Indonesia. It is a lovely display of the variety of coral and marine life in the region. . In the evening we will move to the island of Rinca.
- Day 08 / Rinca Island
- Today we visit Rinca island, We will go ashore at the ranger station in Loh Buaya for another early morning ranger-led trek through the park searching for Komodo dragons if we are lucky the ranger will show us the dens and nests of the dragons. Apart from Komodo dragons, we may spot monkeys, wild buffaloes and deer. From the top of the hills, the scenery is spectacular. After our trek we will follow the currents and explore more of the Komodo park and its underwater life. In the late afternoon you will experience a quintessential experience and a highlight for many guests. On a deserted island with your feet in the sand and the stars rising in the vast Indonesian sky the crew will build a bonfire and prepare a beach barbecue as a final celebration of an unforgettable voyage. While you sleep the ship will cruise to her final destination, the bay of Labuan Bajo, where we spend a quiet night
- Day 09 / Labuan Bajo & Melo
- After breakfast, we arrive on Flores in the port of Labuan Bajo. All arrangements for luggage and flights back to Bali will be made and then the group will say good-bye to the boat and crew and travel by bus into the interior of the island, taking a winding road uphill to the village of Melo. Here local ‘strongmen’ will perform the whip-dance, a test of daring and skill for which the men of Western Flores are famous. Two men, protected by rattan shields, accompanied by an orchestra of local instruments, hit each other fiercely with a rattan whip. Lightning quick moves defend each from the objective…to inflict a wound on the back of the other. The winner is loudly applauded and cheered. After the performance we will transfer you to the airport for the flight back to Denpasar, Bali.
- Full board meal
- English speaking guide service
- Free flow coffee and tea
- Use of our water activities equipment (snorkel, fins, goggles, sea canoe)
- Limited laundry.
- Personal expenses
- Alcoholic drinks consumed from boat bar during the cruise
- Domestic airfares (unless mentioned included)
Book This Cruise
CRUISE CODE: (PHN01-DPSDPS#9D8N-i)
Please mention your departure of interest:
Join our newsletter
and get special cruise deals, last minute cruise deals, and discounted cruise/diving trip offers:
Worldwide Travel Insurance
We have great offer for Worldwide Travel Insurance to cover your holiday, click here to find out.
How to get to port
Port of Embarkation : BALI (DPS) | Port of Disembarkation : Labuan Bajo, KOMODO (LBJ)
- From Jakarta
- From Bali
*We are more than happy to assist you on booking domestic lights to and from embark/disembark ports, let us know if we can assist you.
Booking and Cancellation Policy
- A deposit of 50 percent is required no later than 7 days after the date of reservation to confirm your booking
- Payment of the balance must be made and received us 90 days prior to departure date.
- Failure of payment within the stated period will automatically give the rights to offer the berth to other participant on the waiting list.
- Cancellations more than 90 days prior to departure: 50% refund of monies on hand.
- Cancellations within 90-0 days prior to departure: all monies on hand are forfeited.
- Payment shall be fully paid 90 days prior to departure.
Worldwide Travel Insurance
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from over 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
7 things you should know about
- Trusted reliable underwriters
WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the cover you need
WorldNomads.com provides cover for what’s important for travellers from over 150 countries. By focussing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most
Had a change of plans? You can extend your policy or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already travelling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities
From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads.com covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you travelling safely
All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
- More than just great value travel insurance
All WorldNomads.com members can learn the local lingo through a series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides and can stay in touch with family and friends with an online travel journal.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service
We want to make sure you get the most from WorldNomads.com. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.
- Q. Is this tour offers Diving?
A. No this cruise is a leisure cruise, offers themed excursion and unlimited snorkeling opportunity.
- Q. How can I arrange my flights to and from starting/end port ?
A. Please inform us that you would like us to arrange the domestic air tickets for you
- Q. How can i get from Airport to The boat and vice versa ?
A. Once you arrive at starting port/end port of cruise, transfer to and from airport is include in the service.
- Q. How much cash do i need to carry in this cruise ?
A. Since this is a full board cruise, during the cruise you may only need money (cash in local currency) when you are purchasing souvenir. You may also needs to pay your bar bill (alcoholic drinks are not included in the service) after the cruise, you can also pay onboard the ship using Credit Card (Visa & Master Card only)
- Q. What is Included in this cruise ?
A. Full board meal, English speaking guide service, free flow coffee and tea, use of our water activities equipment (snorkel, fins, goggles, sea canoe), Limited laundry.
- Q. What is not included ?
A. Personal expenses, Alcoholic drinks consumed from boat bar during the cruise, domestic airfares (unless mentioned included).
- Q. Do I Need Travel Insurances?
A. Highly recommended and advisable to purchase travel insurance, please follow this link to purchase world travel insurance.
- Q. What about safety precaution and medic ?
A. Crew of the boat are certified for the Basic Safety Training, and they are also regularly train for medical first aid officer.
- Q. What about emergency support ?
A. The ship operator and us at all time monitors movement of then boat by satellite tracking device installed onboard the ship, and regularly receiving report from boat captain, should there is something emergency assistance needed, there should be a plan already, even for an airlift emergency evacuation.
- Q. What time will the boat leave port, in case i only get the latest flight to be in the starting port ?
A. Depends on the itinerary program, if you are arriving late, you may missed the morning attraction, boat leave at 12.00 noon, so guest able to have lunch onboard the ship. Please arrange your ticket by consulting us to assure you are not missing any program by arriving the latest.
- Q. What time the boat will arriving at the end port?
A. Boat will arrive early morning and depend on the itinerary whether we have morning program/attractions or not, if not we will then transfer you directly from boat to the airport for your return flight.
- Q. Are domestic flights sometime delay and cancelled ?
A. Though nowadays air transport departure and arrival time has been increasing in term of quality, but there is always possibility of weather-caused delay. There you could missed your connecting flight. Please have at least one day stay in Bali /Jakarta before connecting to your Int’l flight.